The Anonymous hacker group says it plans to target the Federal Reserve starting today, most likely with a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack designed to shut down the agency’s Web site.
“90 days ago, we requested Ben Bernankes resignation as Federal Reserve chairman. Mr. Bernanke has not complied with our request.”
In a YouTube video, the group is calling for public protests until Federal Reserve Board Chairman Ben Bernanke steps down. The campaign, called Operation Empire State Rebellion, is timed to coincide with Flag Day in the US, which is June 14 and commemorates the adoption of the national flag in 1777.
The group, which has made a name for itself organizing random anonymous Internet users and getting them to turn their computers against targets in DoS attacks, is critical of the Federal Reserve’s involvement in the global financial crisis and what it says is the politicization of the global banking industry.
A spokesperson from the Federal Reserve in Washington, DC, did not immediately provide comment today, CNET.com reports.
Last week, Anonymous also hit a Turkish government site.
Other Anonymous official targets have been Iran and Egypt, but the group is probably best known for its DDoS attack on Sony in early April and attacks against PayPal, Visa and MasterCard sites last year after those companies stopped allowing WikiLeaks to receive contributions through their sites.
Meanwhile, someone broke into the network of the International Monetary Fund recently and stole data, although Anonymous is not believed to be responsible for that attack.
It’s possible that the IMF breach was a result of an employee getting infected by a malicious e-mail, since the agency reportedly is now warning employees not to open e-mails and video links without first authenticating the source.
Separately, the LulzSec group was busy posting what it says is the source code and passwords it got from hacking Bethesda Softworks, a subsidiary of gaming company ZeniMax Media, as well as data that appeared to come from a US Senate database.
This is starting to get really interesting…
Check out the action through these links:
As presented in the video: http://opesr.com
Google map of actions: http://bit.ly/kajMWv
A99 AmpedStatus Social Network Group: http://ampedstatus.org/network/groups/a99/
June 14th Economic Rebellion Update: This Is What Decentralized Resistance Looks Like: http://ampedstatus.org/june-14th-economic-rebellion-update-%e2%80%93-this-is-…
Acts of Resistance: http://ampedstatus.org/acts-of-resistance-what-are-you-going-to-do-on-june-14…
Related by the Econotwist’s:
- The Cyber War: Complete Coverage
- Citibank Hacked: 200.000 Credit Card Numbers Stolen, May Affect 20 Million Customers
- Online Banking Malware Has Surfaced
- And Here We Go: Nasdaq Stock Exchange Hacked!
- NASDAQ Hackers Aimed At Corporate Bonds
- NASDAQ Comments On Hackers, Lack of Information
- Hackers Target The New York Stock Exchange
- Cyber Attacks Force EU to Close Emission Trading System
- EU Institutions Hit By Major Cyber Attack
- Internet Nuke Bomb Ready To Blow
- Stuxnet Mutants All Over The Web
- Europe: Cyber Criminals Attack Critical Water, Oil and Gas Systems
- The REAL Weapon of Mass Destruction
- Hackers Steal CO2-emission Permits Worth $4bn
- “The Economics Of War Unfolding Now”
- Organizing Financial Rebellion
- Anonymous targeting Federal Reserve in next attack (news.cnet.com)
- Anonymous Demands on the Federal Reserve (businessinsider.com)
- A99: OpESR – Anonymous targets Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke (serpentsembrace.wordpress.com)
- ‘Anonymous’ Targets Fed Chair Ben Bernanke (huffingtonpost.com)
- Anonymous threatens Bernanke (rt.com)
- “‘Anonymous’ Targets Fed Chair Ben Bernanke” and related posts (thenewspundit.com)