The bombshell that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has said could “take down a bank or two” may in fact be something of a dud, Reuters reports Thursday. In fact, the information Reuters presents suggest that the whole big bank thing is a bluff.
“Assange indicated it would require a substantial amount of effort by financial experts to determine whether any of the material was newsworthy.”
Assange has said privately he does not know if his cache of internal Bank of America data, whose public release he has suggested might be imminent, contains any big news or scandal, according to three people familiar with the WikiLeaks leader’s private discussions about the material.
They said that Assange said it consists of e-mails from the hard-drive of a Bank of America executive’s computer and that the latest messages are dated sometime in 2006.
The sources said that Assange privately acknowledged the material was not self-explanatory and that he personally was unable to make much sense of it. Assange indicated it would require a substantial amount of effort by financial experts to determine whether any of the material was newsworthy, according to the sources.
Assange’s private characterizations of the Bank of America material as being dated and difficult to interpret contrasts with inflammatory public statements he has made — some as recently as last month — touting the significance of bank-related materials WikiLeaks has been planning to publish.
A person who works with Assange did not respond to an emailed request for comment.
In an interview in November with Forbes, Assange said WikiLeaks planned early in 2011 to release “either tens or hundreds of thousands of documents depending on how you define it” from a cache of material the website had received from an unnamed American bank. Assange said the material would highlight “some flagrant violations, unethical practices” and added that it could “take down a bank or two.”
- Bank of America Sets Up War Room, Hires Army of Lawyers
- Wikileaks About to Dump Its 5 Gigabyte Bank File?
- Wiki-Founder Compare Upcoming Bank Leak To Enron
- WikiLeaks With 5GB File On Bank of America
- Julian Assange Bluffs On Bank Of America Leak (blogs.forbes.com)
- Julian Assange Is Privately Admitting His Bank Documents Will Be A Huge Flop (businessinsider.com)
- Exclusive: Assange suggests bank documents are a snore (reuters.com)
- Defector Says Assange Lost Control Of WikiLeaks Data (huffingtonpost.com)
- WikiLeaks founder says enjoys making banks squirm (redantliberationarmy.wordpress.com)