Following yesterday’s Interpol arrest warrant, also yesterday, Tom Flanagan, a senior advisor and strategist to the Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, called for the assassination of Wikileaks director Julian Assange.
This is getting really ugly. I guess I’m not the only one recognizing the cold winds from the communist hunt in the 50’s and 60’s. Assassinations is a thing from the past, like the witch burning in the middle ages. There may be many people who have good reasons to be upset by the activities of WikiLeaks, but when politicians play on these emotions just to score some cheap points in the heat of a moment, it makes me sick.
On CBS News – on Live TV. – as the video notes, “it is believed to be the first ever televised “fatwa” since the edict by the Iranian leadership of the late Ayatollah Khomeini against British writer Salman Rushdie in February 1989.”
Although the CBS news anchor afforded Flanagan the opportunity to retract his statement, he balked at doing so and instead reiterated that US President should put out a “contract” on Assange or use “a drone” and that he would not be unhappy if Assange “disappeared.”
Flanagan, who is a trusted member of Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper’s inner circle of Tory strategists, hereby joins republican Sarah Palin in the call for the death of the Wikileaks director Julian Assange as retribution for the website’s release of confidential diplomatic and intelligence “chatter” this week.
Now will this be the new political trend? To issue fatwas on national TV on anyone who dares to utter or publish something that they consider offensive?
Vodpod videos no longer available.
Former US vice president candidate, Sarah Palin, also want the WikiLeaks founder eliminated. But so does several others.
The former US governor – now Fox TV host and writer – Mike Huckabee are also among those who think sending info to WikiLeaks is a criminal offense equal to murder.
“Whoever in our government leaked that information is guilty of treason, and I think anything less than execution is too kind a penalty.” Huckabee opined at a book signing yesterday, according to Politics Daily. “They’ve put American lives at risk. They have put relationships that will take decades to rebuild at risk, and they knew full well that they were handling sensitive documents,” he said.
And the well-known TV host, writer and political commentator Bill O’Reilly has made the exact same argument, while William Kristol and others have called, in veiled terms, for the assassination of Julian Assange.
Related by The Swapper:
- WikiLeaks With 5 GB File On Bank of America
- Wiki-Founder Compare Upcoming Bank Leak To Enron
- WikiLeaks Under Massive Cyber Attack
- WikiLeaks: Canadian official calls for assassination of Julian Assange (telegraph.co.uk)
- Tom Flanagan: ‘Julian Assange Should Be Assassinated’ (video) (nowpublic.com)
- US embassy cables culprit should be executed, says Mike Huckabee (guardian.co.uk)
- Mike Huckabee: Death to the Leakers! (newser.com)
- Interpol Calls For Julian Assange’s Arrest; Julian Assange Calls For Hillary Clinton’s Resignation (mediaite.com)
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange: Does Sarah Palin think CIA should ‘neutralize’ him? – Christian Science Monitor (news.google.com)
- Sarah Palin ‘Target WikiLeaks Like Taliban’ (news.slashdot.org)