This is one of the most disturbing piece of news I’ve seem in a long time; over the last six months Norwegian fisherman have got large amounts of deformed fish in the net. The Norwegian Directorate of Fisheries refuse to disclose the results of the DNA testing. The police have now taken over the case.
“We have the report in the house, but have not started the investigation yet. That will happen in the near future. “
Tor Børge Nordmo
Directorate of Fisheries refuses to disclose the DNA report on the “Monster Cod” from Storfjord in Northern Troms.
The Directorate has decided to use part of the Freedom of Information Act, paragraph 24.
They do so to prevent the public from become aware of the DNA result samples taken from the deformed cod, NRK says.
Here are more pictures of the fish that were caught in nets in Storfjord, Northern Norway, earlier this winter.
Mr. Ernst Bowl at the head aquaculture and fisheries management with the Fisheries Directorate in Troms says to NRK that the report is classified because of the suspicion about a crime has been committed.
Apart from this, Mr. Bowl or others at the Fisheries Directorate will not comment on the matter.
Senior researcher Atle Mortensen at Nofima believes the cod is from 2006, and says that when starting up the cod farms they saw many different deformities.
“When starting with farming of cod so we a lot of things,” he says. “Among other things; what we call “short tail”, fish with thick belly and a short spord.”
Both the fishermen and the Directorate of Fisheries thinks the so called “monster cod” has escaped from a fish farm. If that’s the case, we’re talking about a serious environmental crime.
Regional Director Gunnar Trulssen at the Directorate of Fisheries confirms Monday that the case is now submitted to the Norwegian National Authority for Investigation and Prosecution of Economic and Environmental Crime (Økokrim) for further investigation.
“Yes, the police have been submitted the case for investigation. More than that, I can not say,” Trulssen says.
Police Lawyer Tor Børge Nordmo at Økokrim confirms that they have received the report from The Directorate of Fisheries.
“We have the report in the house, but have not started the investigation yet. That will happen in the near future,” Nordmo says to the Norwegian Broadcasting Company, NRK.
The only fish farm for cod in the area belong Storfjord Cod AS. The company has consistently denied that the cod comes from them.
According to chairman Steinar Eliassen there has been no escape from the farm since the storm that destroyed parts of the plant four years ago.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Gaps in science make it difficult to solve B.C. salmon collapse (thestar.com)
- Loblaw guides consumers towards sustainable seafood (thestar.com)
- A spreading of toxic gags (guardian.co.uk)
- Scientists recommend slightly lower pollock catch (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Giant Mysterious Spiral Takes Over the Skies of Norway [Science] (gizmodo.com)